Sunday, March 18, 2012

Cheesy Quinoa with Kale & Bacon

Sundays always have this invisible film of pressure. This precious day holds my last few hours of freedom before Monday hits. Do I nap, fold laundry, read a book, clean, go out with friends, catch up on paperwork (somehow there is ALWAYS some sort of work that consists of paper), discover something new in Seattle I've never done, paint my nails, hit the thrift stores...you get the idea. Sometimes (more than I'd like to admit) I sit frozen not knowing what to do. I waste away my precious hours in indecisiveness. Not today my friends! I created a masterpiece in the kitchen. 

May I present you with Cheesy Quinoa with Kale & Bacon???
Thank you Aaron Woodall for the Mac&Cheese conversation that inspired this dish.

Cheesy Quinoa with Kale & Bacon
Serves 2-3

Ingredients
2 cups chopped kale (I used the bagged kale from Trader Joe's)
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp rosemary
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
1/4 cup milk (whatever you have on hand)
3/4-1 cup cheeses of your choice (I used feta, mozzarella, & gruyere) 
Bacon bits to your liking (fresh are always better)

Directions
1. Coat kale in oil. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt & pepper. Broil on LOW until warmed.
2. Cook quinoa according to directions.
3. Mix all ingredients & place in 8X8 glass dish.
4. Broil on HI until preferred crispiness is acquired.

Eat it up, because it is delicious!

If you are lucky like me, then you can mix everything with your Kitchen Aid mixer. 
I loaned him to a friend not too long ago, and he came home with a name. 
Meet Tangy. This is his internet debut. 
He is very happy to meet you & hopes to cook for you one day. 

1 comment: