Sunday, April 22, 2012

Imperfection and Other Heart Issues

Do you ever let a not-so-good moment overshadow, or even cancel, a whole lot of ridiculously awesome moments?

I did today for a minute...probably more like twenty of them.

A wonderful friend of mine and I bought tickets to see Damn Yankees at 5th Avenue about two months ago. For some reason I had it in my head that it started at 2:30. After picking up our tickets from the box office and realizing I had purchased parking for a garage we were not parked in, I walked in the theater already discouraged with myself. It got exponentially worse when we found out that the show had started at 1:30. Where was my head? I felt very off kilter. Much like a failure. The worst was thinking that I disappointed someone.

My friend was very gracious. Bless her. I was not at first. Gradually though, I let the situation go. The only thing I could do was apologize for my craziness in mixing up the times and move on. Eventually I was able to get lost in the quirky baseball musical. The not-so-good moment faded and the heartwarming ones were able to take over.

Today, it took twenty minutes to switch from negative self-talk to reality. A year ago, it would have taken me hours, days, maybe even weeks. I would have groveled. Pitched a tent in self-pity land. I am beyond grateful for this growth.

I get to keep all of our moments of laughter, rocking out to music in the car, sipping coffee, strolling through fields of tulips, girl talk, and real genuine friendship while accepting that I'm not perfect.

I'm not perfect and neither are you. This is where the beauty of life is. Loving one another as we are. We truly all have something to bring to the table just as we are.

Beauty can be found in the most unthinkable places. Like in an old stinky shoe.
Photo courtesy of Mackenzie Heimer (age 10)


No comments:

Post a Comment